Sprint Cross-City Route
Walsall to Birmingham City Centre via the A34 and Birmingham City Centre to Birmingham Airport and Solihull via the A45
The Sprint cross-city route will connect Walsall to Birmingham Airport and Solihull via the A34 and A45. The route will improve connectivity for local residents, with 77,000 people living within 500 metres of the route who will benefit from this reliable service.
- The total length of the A45 Sprint route is 19.5km.
- The Birmingham to Solihull route is 14.5km and Sprint journey times are forecast to be a reliable average of 45 minutes.
- The Birmingham city centre to Birmingham Airport route is 14.6km and Sprint journey times are forecast to be a reliable average of 41 minutes.
View the map in full screen
Following a public consultation in 2018, Transport for West Midlands listened to the concerns of local residents, business and community groups, and took advice from transport professionals. A new proposed route was unveiled in October 2019.
To make way for the cross-city Sprint route, alternations will be made along the routes to ensure traffic flows as smoothly as possible. The changes will also include:
- Some modifications to some of the grass verges and the central reservation, the vast majority of which will be retained.
- Conducting a specialist tree report, identifying the location, amount and types of trees affected.
- Consultations with Birmingham City Council and local community groups to recommend locations for new trees.
- Exploring ways to use the recycled trees in the local areas surrounding the route.
For all your questions related to Sprint, visit our FAQs page here.