With the recent improvements to the public realm in Solihull town centre both Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) and Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (SMBC) are keen to replicate the achievements of Birmingham City Centre’s Statutory Quality Partnership (SQPS) with better management of bus services, which provide the opportunity to:
- Introduce slot booking to manage departures at Solihull Station and Solihull town centre.
- Reduce congestion and improve passenger and pedestrian safety.
- 'Protect' improved assets in Solihull Gateway.
- Introduce enforceable bus stops and stands within the SQPS.
- Formally require SMBC to enforce bus stands and other Traffic Regulation Orders.
- Require operators to provide RTI data feed to improve passenger information.
- Improve driving standards and driver training.
- Ensuring operators provide vehicles at particular emission standards
- Specify other vehicle requirements.
The proposed scheme will cover 33 bus stops and stands within Solihull town Centre and rail station areas. A key output of the scheme will be that bus operators within the scheme area will only be able to take layover at the rail station with this designed to keep traffic moving in other key town centre areas such as Station Road and Poplar Road.
The proposed timetable for the introduction of the Solihull SQPS is:
- Formal Consultation will start on Monday 27th February 2017 and be open for 13 week period
- Consultation ends on Monday 29th May 2017
- Comments will be considered and the draft scheme will be revised as necessary by Sunday 2nd July 2017
- We will then give the 13 weeks’ notice of the scheme start date.
- All bus operators who wish to operate any bus service within the scheme area after the start date must have signed a declaration to both the West Midlands Combined Authority and to the West Midlands Traffic Commissioner that they will fully comply with the SQPS.
- The planned the scheme will start on Sunday 1st October 2017.
Please send your views in writing to Guy Craddock, Solihull SQPS, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD.
Visit our Bus Alliance page for more on Statutory Quality Partnerships.