Users of a rural bus service in between Solihull and Coventry have seen a new timetable introduced.
The No 89 serves Solihull, Hampton in Arden, Meriden, Berkswell, Balsall Common and Coventry.
Following a consultation with users Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), part of the West Midlands Combined Authority, has unveiled a new timetable which is now in operation.
Key features of the service, which will be operated by iGo, are shorter waiting times for return services from Coventry and Solihull, and two ‘roaming zones’ around Meriden and Balsall Common.
Passengers can travel wherever they want in these zones. Areas within them that are inaccessible for the bus will be served by a minibus which will pick up passengers and drop them at the nearest stop on the No 89 route.
The No 89 and mini-bus can be used for travelling to local shops, clubs and other facilities within the roaming zones.
Both buses can link with X1, 82, 87 and 88 at the main bus stops at Meriden Green and Balsall Common Island.
Jon Hayes, head of network delivery for TfWM said: “The No 89 serves a rural community and it is important to us that people have access to it.
“We have consulted extensively with existing customers, local stakeholders and residents to ensure the service provides what people need, such as improved return service times and a link for people in areas the No 89 cannot reach.”
Other features of the new service are:
- The bus will run from Balsall Common to Solihull on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and Meriden to Coventry on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Shorter wait times between services in Coventry and Solihull
- The route for the school journeys which serve Heart of England School will remain the same.
- Peel Close in Hampton in Arden will be served on request
- A new bus, fitted with seat belts
- Cannon Park Shops (Tuesdays and Thursdays) will be served as requested
All journeys can be booked by telephoning 0121 782 9322 or by completing a form online at www.igobuses.com/89
For timetable and service information go to the Network West Midlands website.