Freight & Highways
The Heart of the Network
As a fundamental element of our plans for devolution, we are investing in our infrastructure, ready for the arrival of High Speed Two, and in order to ensure that goods and people are able to move seamlessly throughout the West Midlands.
West Midlands Freight Strategy
Freight and logistics are vital to our economic activity and development. They support people and businesses in their daily activities, ranging from deliveries to homes and shops through transferring goods to and from factories or getting supplies to offices.
The approved West Midlands Freight Strategy and Implementation plan helps to provide TfWM with the tools to work together with businesses, and a programme to deliver a West Midlands that shines as a beacon for best practice in urban logistics management, providing:
- Improved access to the West Midlands by road and rail;
- New ways of managing deliveries which provide businesses and residents with high quality access to goods and services;
- A range of techniques to reduce emissions, noise, and congestion caused by goods vehicles;
- Support for the introduction of very low emissions or zero emissions delivery systems; and
- Commitment to deliver these improvements through a partnership with businesses and government.
The Devolution Deal also provides new powers to support policies and actions across all modes and all transport users. Efficient logistics is recognised as being a key issue for TfWM.
Key Route Network
An agreed Key Route Network (KRN) of local authority roads has been developed and identified in collaboration with the Constituent Authorities. The KRN is to be collaboratively managed and maintained by TfWM on behalf the WMCA. This will also be on behalf of the future West Midlands Mayor.
The KRN will serve the main strategic demand flows of people and freight across the metropolitan area, and provide connections to the national strategic road network. It will also serve large local flows which use main roads and will need to provide good access for businesses reliant on road transport.