Birmingham Clean Air Zone
The Clean Air Zone is the area inside the A4540 Middleway Ring Road. It does not include the Middleway itself. It is operational every day, 24 hours a day. You might have to pay to drive inside it.
There are signs around the Clean Air Zone so drivers can see where it is.
Instead of driving in the Clean Air Zone, you could:
- walk or cycle - there are lots of walking and cycling routes
- take public transport - use our journey planner to find the best route
Check if you have to pay
Drivers of the most polluting vehicles will have to pay to drive in the Clean Air Zone. You will not have to pay if:
- you drive an electric or hybrid vehicle
- your car meets emission standards
Check your vehicle online to see if you’ll need to pay to drive in the Clean Air Zone. You’ll need to know your number plate.
There are cameras inside the Clean Air Zone to spot vehicles that need to pay.
You might be able to apply for a temporary exemption permit if you live or work in the Clean Air Zone.
You will not have to pay if you're travelling to:
- Birmingham Children's Hospital
- Badger Medical
- Bath Row Medical Practice (Attwood Green Health Centre)
- Millennium Point for COVID-19 vaccinations
Collect a voucher when you go to your appointment. You can use the voucher to cover the cost of the Clean Air Zone charge. You can find out more about medical exemptions on the Brum Breathes website.
If you work in the Clean Air Zone and have to pay for your vehicle, you could get financial help to scrap it. If you’re eligible, you could scrap your vehicle and get either:
- £2,000 credit on a Swift card - this is a smartcard you use on public transport
- a £2,000 discount on a new car through Motorpoint
How much it costs and how to pay
If your vehicle does not meet emissions standards, you’ll have to pay:
- £8 per day for cars, taxis and LGVs (large goods vehicles)
- £50 per day for coaches and HGVs (heavy goods vehicles)
You can pay 6 days before your visit or 6 days after your visit. You can either:
- pay online
- pay by calling 0300 029 8888 - lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 4.30pm
You’ll get a £120 penalty charge if you do not pay. You can get the charge reduced to £60 if you pay within 14 days.
Get help if you have a question
We do not manage the Clean Air Zone. If you have a question, contact the Clean Air Zone support team.