Skip to main content

Your privacy settings

We use cookies to help you with journey planning and relevant disruptions, remember your login and show you content you might be interested in. If you're happy with the use of cookies by West Midlands Combined Authority and our selected partners, click 'Accept all cookies'. Or click 'Manage cookies' to learn more.

Manage cookies

Get an older person's travel pass

You can get a pass for free bus travel anywhere in England when you reach the female State Pension age. It does not matter if you’re a man or a woman.

The pass lets you travel for free during off-peak times:

  • between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday
  • all day at weekends and on public holidays

If you live in the West Midlands, you can use your pass on the buses from 9.30am until 11.59pm. You can also get free travel on:

  • trains in the Blue Zone from 9.30am to 11.59pm
  • trams from 9.30am until the last service of the day

If you want to travel before 9.30am, you can get a £1.50 single fare on National Express West Midlands buses. Show your travel pass to the driver and ask for a £1.50 single ticket.

If you often travel before 9.30am, you can get a pre-9.30 add-on ticket. Use our ticket finder to find pre-9.30 add-on tickets.

You can also use your travel pass as a pay as you go card. This means you can use it to pay for:

  • travel before 9.30 am
  • parking

To use your travel pass as a pay-as-you-go card, you need to either:

Check if you're eligible

You can find out if you've reached the age for free bus travel on the GOV.UK website.

You can get a West Midlands older person's travel pass if you live in the West Midlands. You must live at a property where council tax is paid to one of these councils:

  • Birmingham
  • Coventry
  • Dudley
  • Sandwell
  • Solihull
  • Walsall
  • Wolverhampton

If you do not live in the West Midlands, contact your local authority to apply.

Apply for an older person's pass

You can either:

If you apply through the post, send your application to the address on the form.

Renew your travel pass

We'll write to you 4 to 6 weeks before your pass expires and tell you how to renew it.

If you’ve lost your letter, you can still renew your travel pass online.

You should get your new pass 2 weeks before your current one expires. Contact Customer Services if you have not got it by then.

Customer Services - Ticketing

Telephone: 0345 303 6760

Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 8am to 6pm
Wednesdays, 10am to 6pm
Saturdays, 9am to 1pm
Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays

Update the details on your travel pass

You can update your personal details online if your name or address has changed.

You can update your photo by email or by post. Send your new photo to Ticketing Services.

You'll need to send us:

  • a new, passport-style colour photo
  • your full name and address
  • the 16-digit number on the front of your travel pass

Customer Services - Ticketing
Transport for West Midlands
16 Summer Lane
B19 3SD

Submit an enquiry

Stay up to date

Receive an email notification when this information changes.

Sign up for updates