1.1 These Terms and Conditions apply to the issue and use of the Workwise Travel Support Programme. West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) may at its own discretion and at any time amend any part of these Terms and Conditions. All revised Terms and Conditions will apply immediately and it is the Customer’s responsibility to regularly review the Terms and Conditions in case there are any changes.
1.2 When the Customer uses Travel pass/Swift Card for travel on a Participating Operators’ services, they must do so in compliance with the Conditions of Carriage that apply to the Participating Operator in addition to the Workwise Terms and Conditions.
1.3 The Travel pass/Swift Card is and remains the property of WMCA at all times.
1.4 WMCA may at its sole discretion and at any time and without notice to the Customer, deactivate, cancel or suspend the right to use the travel pass/Swift Card or refuse to reissue, renew or replace the travel pass/Swift Card if WMCA has reason to believe that the Customer is in breach of these Terms and Conditions and/or any applicable legislation or regulations. In such circumstances, the travel pass/Swift Card must be returned to WMCA immediately. WMCA does not accept any liability for the direct or indirect loss arising from any deactivation, suspension or cancellation in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
1.5 For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions;
“West Midlands Combined Authority” / "WMCA" means the West Midlands Combined Authority, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham B19 3SD.
“Workwise” means a West Midlands Combined Authority programme that provides travel support to eligible customers (refer to section 3).
“Swift Card” means a transport smartcard that can be loaded with electronic travel Products for use on Participating Operator services and is issued by West Midlands Combined Authority.
“Travel pass” means a season travel ticket with a matching photocard
“Conditions of Carriage” means the regulations and terms and conditions of each Participating Operator.
“Customer” means the authorised user of a Workwise Travel Ticket/Swift Card
“Referral Partner” means an organisation working in agreement with Workwise to provide travel support to their organisation’s clients.
2. General conditions of issue
2.1 Workwise travel support is available for travel on buses (Bus) or buses, trains and the Metro (nNetwork) within the West Midlands area (Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton). A map of the areas each travel pass covers is available on the Workwise web page.
2.2 The Workwise travel support as set out at 2.1 above will provide two 4-week tickets free then a third 4-week ticket at a 50% discount from the standard price. The tickets will run consecutively for a total of 12 weeks, with no gaps in between tickets. Tickets offered are selected by operators participating in the scheme
2.3 The Customer is responsible for the correct use of the Workwise travel pass/Swift Card. Any Customer or other person found to be using the travel pass/Swift Card fraudulently may be liable for prosecution.
2.4 The Customer must have the Workwise travel pass /Swift Card with them at the time of travel. If the Customer is not able to present the Workwise travel pass /Swift Card, they will be required to pay for the journey (refer to Travel Operator’s terms and conditions).
2.5 The Customer must have the Workwise travel pass /Swift Card available for inspection when travelling at any time. The Customer must show the Workwise travel pass/Swift Card when requested by a member of staff, ticket inspector or other authorised officer and shall allow it to be read by any electronic reading device if applicable. Failure to do so may result in the issue of a penalty fare.
2.6 WMCA will not be liable for any additional travel costs incurred as a result of the circumstances in section 2.3, section 2.4 and section 2.5
2.7 The offer will take place from 6 September 2021. Any application accepted or in process before this date will continue on the previous offer of three 4-week travel passes at a 5-% discount from the standard price.
3. Eligibility criteria
3.1 The applicant must:
- live in or have a new job in a West Midlands Local Authority area: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton. This is the eligible area.
- be unemployed or increasing working hours to 16 or more per week prior to applying for Workwise travel support.
- have not received Workwise travel support for new employment between 1st April and 31st March in the current year.
- be paying adult fare on public transport
- provide a valid National Insurance Number
- be working a total minimum of 16 hours per week
- be earning less than £30,000 in their new job or were receiving unemployment benefit before their new job started
- ensure they apply within 10 working days of starting new employment or apprenticeship
- provide a recent passport style photograph
- must not be receiving support with transport costs through another scheme or provider e.g. DWP, 16-18 photocard scheme, concessionary scheme
Workwise reserves the right to contact your employer to verify the employment details provided within your online application.
4.1 You will be contacted if any of the supporting evidence or photo are unsuitable. New evidence or photo must be submitted within 5 working days.
4.2 The applicant will be entitled to choose a suitable travel product from a set list. Applicants can get help with choosing the right ticket for their journey by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 03453036760. Opening hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8am to 6pm. Wednesday 10am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
4.3 If the applicant has not received their travel support or had an acknowledgement of their ticket being sent out within five working days, they must contact Workwise on 03453036760. Opening hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8am to 6pm. Wednesday 10am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
5.1 Numerous attempts to enter different data to meet the eligibility criteria will result in any such referral being scrutinised by an administrator. In such cases, the offer of support may be delayed.
5.2 The Customer’s entitlement to use the Swift Card or other travel product will be affected if used fraudulently or used after the swift card has been reported lost/stolen.
5.3 Duplicate applications are identified as part of the application process. Any duplicate applications will be scrutinised by an administrator. In these cases, the administrator will contact the applicant and any active travel pass issued through the application process will be deactivated.
6. Replacement travel pass/Swift cards
6.1 If your pass has been lost or stolen, a replacement can be provided. A pass will be issued for the unused portion of the original. This ensures you receive your full four-week travel support.
6.2 A replacement fee will be payable by credit or debit card at the time of notifying WMCA.
7.1 WMCA shall not be liable for any loss, damage, expenses, claims, liability or costs which the Customer may suffer or incur in connection with:
- The use or issue of Workwise travel pass/Swift Card including but not limited to the Workwise travel pass/Swift Card failing to reach the Workwise Customer by post.
- A refusal to issue or delay in issuing a Workwise travel pass/Swift Card.
- A Swift card being “blocked” for a justified reason, including but not limited to the Swift Card being lost or stolen, or if there is suspicion of fraud or misuse.
- Any loss or damage suffered as result of the Customer failing to inform WMCA that the Workwise travel pass/Swift Card has been lost, damaged or stolen
8. Data Protection
8.1 WMCA is a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018. WMCA will process your data in accordance with the Act and will use your data for the following purposes:
- to provide you with the scheme you applied for and for ongoing administration of the scheme;
- to allow us to improve products and services we offer to our customers;
- for research and analysis including travel patterns;
- to enable us to provide anonymous data to the Department for Transport if requested by them;
- to enable us to conduct surveys;
- for the prevention and detection of crime including fare evasion;
- to enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to ensure that we follow your instructions correctly and to improve customer service, we may monitor and/or record any communication between you and WMCA.
8.2 We may use your information for marketing purposes if you have provided consent as follows:
- to let you know about related products and or services;
- to send you offers on behalf of selected third parties which we believe to be appropriate.
9. Further important Customer information
9.1 The offer comprises two 4-week tickets free then a third 4-week ticket at a 50% discount from the standard price. The tickets will run consecutively for a total of twelve weeks, with no gaps in between tickets. Tickets offered are selected by operators participating in the scheme,
9.2 The starting date of your first ticket will be the work start date that you enter during your online application.
9.3 Once your application has been successful you will receive an e-mail. This email will include a link to choose a ticket. The e-mail will give you a ‘reply-by’ date – you must click on the link and choose your ticket by the stated date. The link will expire and will not work after the ‘reply-by’ date.
9.4 Please note that ten days before your first ticket expires, you will be sent an e-mail with a link to choose your second ticket, this e-mail will also have a ‘reply-by’ date. You must choose your second ticket before the ‘reply-by’ date, as the link will expire after this date. The same will happen ten days before your second ticket expires.
9.5 When payment is needed any links provided will take you to a payment page where the 50% discount will automatically be applied.
9.6 If you do not renew your tickets, you will be deemed to have ended your participation in the Workwise travel support programme and you will not be able to access any further tickets.
9.7 If your circumstances (e.g. hours worked) change, and you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for the Workwise travel support programme as set out in clause 3 above, you should not apply for another ticket. If you have already had a ticket and are no longer eligible, WMCA reserve the right to cancel the ticket and refund the value of the remaining balance of the ticket from the date of the cancellation.