You can rent an e-scooter in 3 trial zones. These are in:
- Birmingham city centre
- Coventry city centre
- West Bromwich town centre
You cannot ride a privately-owned e-scooter on public roads. Voi e-scooters are the only ones allowed in the West Midlands.
To ride a Voi e-scooter in Birmingham, Coventry or West Bromwich you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have a full or provisional UK driving licence
There’s a weight limit of 100kg on a Voi e-scooter. This includes your body weight and anything you’re carrying, like a backpack.
To find and ride an e-scooter:
- Download the Voi app (available on Android and Apple iOS).
- Use the app to find an available e-scooter near you.
- Unlock the scooter with the app when standing next to it.
It costs £1 to unlock a scooter. Then you pay 20p per minute to ride. Or you can have unlimited rides for £40 per month. There are reduced rates for:
- NHS workers
- people on low incomes
You can use the app to apply for a discount.
When you ride a Voi e-scooter:
- wear a helmet
- only ride in the trial zone - the scooter will not work outside it
- stay off the pavement - ride close to the curb or use bike lanes
- park considerately - do not block pavements or roads
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to give us feedback on the trial.