West Midlands Metro tram extensions
We are part of the Midland Metro Alliance (MMA). The MMA also includes design experts and rail construction specialists. Together we’re building £1.3 billion of new tram extensions in the West Midlands.
We help to develop plans for new tram extensions. We find potential new routes and write business cases to get funding. The new extensions will transform the region. They’ll make it easier for lots of people to get the tram. They’ll also help create new jobs.
Extensions we have completed
We have completed these extensions:
- Birmingham Westside to Centenary Square, opened in 2020
- Birmingham city centre to Grand Central, opened in 2017
Extensions under construction
We're currently working on these extensions:
- Wolverhampton city centre to Wolverhampton train station
- Birmingham Westside to Edgbaston, opening in December 2021
- Birmingham Eastside to Deritend
- Wednesbury to Brierley Hill
We are also planning an extension from Birmingham city centre to East Birmingham and Solihull.
Transport and Works Act orders
We get government permission for our tram work under the Transport and Works Act. When the government approves the work, this is called a Transport and Works act order.
You can find the legal documents on the GOV.UK website: